So, what are backlinks? Backlinks are hyperlinks from external websites to your website, blog or page. Essentially, your backlinks (alternatively called referring domains) contribute to the overall strength and relevance of your website.
A backlink is considered as a type of vouch by the referring website. The more reputable and relevant websites you have linking to you, the more authority your site will have and as a result, rank higher on search engines. Backlinks were the major metric for search engine rankings. A page with many high-quality backlinks tended to rank higher on all the major search engines, including Google, Bing! and Yahoo. Amongst other technical elements, backlinking is still an important aspect of success.
To make things complicated, we have several different types of backlink which you will need to know about, here they are:
- Link Juice: When a page links to any of your articles or your website’s index, it transfers “link juice” which increases the authority and ranking of that article. This also helps boost your domain’s authority.
- No-Follow Link: If you are a blogger or a webmaster who doesn’t want to pass “link juice” to another website, you can use something called a no-follow link. No-follow links are used when linking your website to an unreliable or unreputable website. It is important not to associate your website with websites that could damage your reputation.
- Do-Follow Link: You guessed it, do-follow links pass “link juice: to the referring website. By default on software such as WordPress, all links are configured as do-follow links.
- Linking Root Domains: This is a reference to the number of backlinks you have from each unique domain. If a website has multiple backlinks, it will only be considered as one linked root domain.
- Low-Quality Links: There was a time where even low-quality links could help boost your website. These backlinks could be generated from automated systems, spam sites, blacklisted sites or even porn websites. Since Google’s algorithm updates, low-quality links now do far more harm than good. Be very careful when buying backlinks – as often this is what you’ll end up with.
- Internal Links: If one page on your website links to another, this is called internal links. The process itself is referred to as internal linking or interlinking.
- Anchor Text: Text that is used for hyperlinks is called anchor text. Anchor text backlinks work great when you are trying to rank for particular keywords.
Backlinks, if done correctly, are an extremely efficient way of generating traffic and as a result leads for your website or business. If done incorrectly, it can be extremely damaging. For this reason it is important that you use a professional SEO specialist or SEO company with a reputable portfolio to build links for you.
It is important that you do not use a company that has an automated solution. These solutions, as mentioned in previous posts, can cause permanent damage which could get your business blacklisted from search engines.
Backlinking is certainly one of the more important elements of SEO. They provide your business or website with a digital authority which can be used to boost rankings. Always make sure you use a professional. If you’re in any doubt or have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch.